Garden of Palms or Palm gardens (Dutch: Palmentuin) is a palm tree landscape garden in Paramaribo, Suriname. In addition to tall royal palms, the grounds are home to tropical birds and a “troop” of capuchin monkeys. Palmentuin is located on Van Roseveltkade behind the Presidential Palace of Suriname and is a tourist attraction.
Royal palms were planted on the grounds by order of Cornelis van Aerssen van Sommelsdijck Governor of Suriname from 1683-1688. He opened the garden to the public in 1685. He was murdered in 1688 by a group of mutinous soldiers. Afterwards the garden was closed to the public until in the early 20th century. The park includes a playground and on holidays there are stalls. In 2002, the city of Paramaribo was put on the World Heritage List at the UN and the garden was cited specifically as a feature. In 2009, the UNESCO made US $147,000 available to refurbish the palm garden.